David and Betty Huskins have been lobbying the N.C. General Assembly since 1985, representing national and regional clients. They have experience with the U.S. Congress as advocates for their clients and have a close working relationship with key members of the N.C. Congressional Delegation and their Congressional Staffs. Both have working relationships with key N.C. legislative leaders, the General Assembly Staff and members of the Executive Branch Cabinet and Council of State.
In addition to Ridgetop Associates, David and Betty are the owners of Linville Falls Lodge and Spears BBQ and Grill in Linville Falls, NC. David is a former county manager and Betty a former county and regional economic developer.
Prior to his tenure as a county manager, where he received distinction as the region's most outstanding local government manager, David was Director of Institutional Research and Development and faculty member at Mayland Community College.
David and Betty formed Ridgetop Associates in 1985, specializing in governmental affairs and economic development and building a client base around those needs. They have been effective for their clients in writing and passing legislation in the N.C. General Assembly, securing state and federal appropriations and building successful networking opportunities in both the state and national arenas.
Betty left Ridgetop in 2001 to become Sr. V.P. of External Affairs for the WNC Regional Economic Development Commission, AdvantageWest Economic Development Group. David was Corporate Secretary of the board, leaving upon Betty’s hiring. In June of 2009, Betty left AdvantageWest and rejoined Ridgetop Associates as Corporate President.
David Huskins Public & Governmental Service
- NC State and Local Government Commission, appointed by the NC General Assembly
- Mountain Area Study Commission appointed by NC General Assembly
- Economic Future of NC Study Commission appointed by the NC General Assembly
- WNC Regional Economic Development Commission (d/b/a AdvantageWest Economic Development Group appointed by the NC General Assembly, Corporate Secretary
- NC State Chamber of Commerce Executive Committee & Board
- NC Restaurant Association Board Chair
- Western North Carolina Tomorrow Board Chair
- Blue Ridge Mental Health Association Board Chair
- NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources Environmental Round-table
- WNC Development Association Board
- NC Board of Travel & Tourism Charter Member & Vice Chair
- Western Carolina University Board of Trustees
- McDowell County Tourism Development Authority Board
Betty Huskins Public & Governmental Service:
- Avery County Chamber of Commerce President
- McDowell County Tourism Development Authority Chair
- The NC Arboretum Board
- NC Board of Travel and Tourism
- NC Delegate to the White House Conference on Tourism
- US Senate Study Commission on Forest Planning
- NC International Tourism Task Force
- NC Department of Transportation Enhancement Advisory Board
- Asheville - Buncombe Tech Technology Commercialization Center Board
- NC BioBusiness Advisory Board
- US Sport Fishing & Boating Partnership Council, US Department of the Interior
- The US Forest Service Southeast Recreation Fee Advisory Committee, US Department of Agriculture
- The NC Department of Transportation’s Intergovernmental Policy Advisory Group
- Asheville Art Museum Board of Directors
- WNC Media Arts Project Board of Directors
- Chair, Southeast Tourism Policy Council
- Southeast Tourism Society Board of Directors
- Friends of the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Tennessee Valley Corridor Association Board
David is a graduate of Western Carolina University with both Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees where he served as Student Body President and was appointed to the Board of Trustees ex officio. Also, he has an Education Specialist Degree in Higher Education Administration from Appalachian State University. He was awarded a Certificate in County Administration from the N.C. Institute of Government at UNC-Chapel Hill. While at WCU, David received the first Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Service for a student, was distinguished as Best University Citizen and profiled in Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities.
Betty attended Western Carolina University. She holds certification in Economic Development from the UNC Institute of Government/Chapel Hill, NC and in Heritage Tourism Development from George Washington University. Betty also received certification in Rural Entrepreneurial Development by the Rural Entrepreneurial Development Institute in Chapel Hill.
- David and Betty received jointly the 2009 Winner’s Circle Award by the NC Department of Commerce, the department’s highest award for achievement in support of the state’s travel and tourism industry.
- David and Betty also received jointly the Griff Glover Distinguished Service Award by the NC Restaurant Association.
- Betty received the Shining Example Award and Chairman’s Award from The Southeast Tourism Society.
- Betty received the Signature of Excellence Award from Smoky Mountain Host of North Carolina.
- Betty received a Distinguished Service Award from Governor Mike Easley and Lieutenant Governor Beverly Perdue for the organization of the NC Workforce Development Summit.
- Betty and David have also received distinguished service awards from Avery County, Macon County, Smoky Mountain Host of North Carolina.
- David received the Outstanding County Manager Award from High Country Council of Governments.
- Betty received the Vision & Leadership Award from the Blue Ridge National Heritage Area.
- David & Betty received the Board of Directors’ Award from the Marketing Association of Rehabilitation Centers.
David and Betty have been married 29 years and have two adult sons and three grandchildren. They reside in Linville Falls, North Carolina where they continue active involvement in their lodging and restaurant business, which they have owned individually or collectively for 34 years. Since 1986, the couple has also maintained a residence/office in Franklin, North Carolina to better serve their client base in Southwestern NC.